The Lake Host™ Program is a courtesy boat inspection program administered by NH LAKES in cooperation with local participating groups to prevent the introduction and spread of aquatic invasive species, plants and animals, from waterbody to waterbody.
Infestations of invasive species such as variable milfoil and Asian Clams in our waterbodies are undesirable because: they make recreation in and on the water dangerous and unpleasant; they disrupt the ecological balance of waterbodies; they reduce shoreline property values; and they are difficult and expensive to control.
Trained Lake Hosts staff boat ramps to:
- Educate visiting boaters about aquatic invasive species (plants and animals)
- Conduct a brief boater survey
- Teach boaters the “Clean, Drain & Dry” method for preventing the spread of aquatic invasive species
- Conduct courtesy boat and trailer inspections to remove all hitchhiking aquatic invasive species and native species, too
- Remind boaters to always open/remove drain plugs before trailering from the ramp and to leave all drain plugs open/out while transporting
- Send suspicious species fragments to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services for identification
Since 2002, hundreds of paid and volunteer Lake Hosts have conducted more than 851,102 courtesy boat inspections and have made more than 1,550 ‘saves’ of aquatic invasive plant or animal specimens that were about to enter or had just left a waterbody.
Lake Host Program for ramps not open to the general public:
Community groups, marinas, and owners of ramps not open to the public are invited to participate in NH LAKES Lake Host Program on a non payroll-grant award basis. NH LAKES can hire individuals to work as NH LAKES Lake Hosts at these ramps not open to the general public, provided that the local group provides funding to cover salaries and associated taxes, statutory benefits including insurances, and payroll fees.
Lake Host Program for ramps open to the general public:
The Lake Host Payroll Grant Program is open to groups (lake, pond, river and watershed associations, municipalities, and other community groups) that pledge to staff boat ramps open to the general public. NH LAKES provides (‘sets aside’) grant funding to cover the salaries and benefits of individuals hired as NH LAKES employees to work as Lake Hosts at local ramps open to the public. Participating groups are required to match their payroll award by a minimum of 100% by providing volunteer labor and/or by contributing funding to extend Lake Host employee coverage at their ramp. Funding for the payroll grant award programs comes from the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services’ Exotic Species Prevention Grant Program which is funded by a portion of the revenue generated by in-state boat registration fees. Funding for the payroll grant program also comes from foundations and local sources.
2018 Lake Host™ Payroll Grant Program
We are pleased to offer the Lake Host Program, one of the nation’s premier aquatic invasive species education and prevention programs, for its 17th year!
- 2018 Lake Host Program Payroll Grant Eligibility, Award Criteria, Participation Terms & Award Process
- NEW! 2018 Lake Host Payroll Grant Application Calculator
- 2018 Lake Host Payroll Grant Application – MS Word
- 2018 Lake Host Payroll Grant Application – PDF
- 2018 Lake Host Point Person and Manager Position Descriptions
- 2018 Point Person/Co-Point Person Agreement
- 2018 Point Person & Manager Training Manual
- 2018 Lake Host Wanted Ad Template (MS Word)
- 2018 Lake Host Sweatshirt Order Form
- NH Fish & Game Open Water Fishing Tournament Schedule
- On Water Events & Tournaments Permitted by NH Department of Safety – coming soon!
- ‘Clean & Drain’ Law Statute (NH RSA 487:16c-e)
- Answers to Common New ‘Clean & Drain’ Law Questions
- 2018 Lake Host Program ‘Saves’ (as of 9/26/18)
IMPORTANT FORMS FOR ALL LAKE HOST INSPECTORS
- 2018 Lake Host Inspector Employee and Volunteer Position Description
- 2018 Lake Host Program Boater Survey Sheet
- 2018 Lake Host Inspector Training Manual
IMPORTANT FORMS FOR LAKE HOST VOLUNTEERS
- 2018 Lake Host Volunteer Information-Enrollment Form (PDF)
- 2018 Lake Host Volunteer Information-Enrollment Form (MS Word)
- 2018 Lake Host Volunteer Match Sheet (PDF)
- 2018 Lake Host Volunteer Match Sheet (MS Word)
- For spreadsheet version of the Volunteer Match Sheet, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT FORMS FOR LAKE HOST EMPLOYEES
- 2018 Lake Host Employee Information Form
- 2018 Lake Host Employee Information Form
- 2018 Form W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
- 2018 Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
- 2018 Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification INSTRUCTIONS
- 2018 Parental Permission Form – Employment of Youth Age 16 or 17
- 2018 Lake Host Employee Timesheet (PDF)
- 2018 Lake Host Employee Timesheet (MS Word)
- 2018 Lake Host Inspector Training Presentation
- 2018 Lake Host Point Person Training Presentation
- Training Video – click on video link below.