The Lake Host™ Program is a courtesy boat inspection program administered by NH LAKES in cooperation with local participating groups to prevent the introduction and spread of aquatic invasive species, plants and animals, from waterbody to waterbody.
Infestations of invasive species such as variable milfoil and Asian Clams in our waterbodies are undesirable because: they make recreation in and on the water dangerous and unpleasant; they disrupt the ecological balance of waterbodies; they reduce shoreline property values; and they are difficult and expensive to control.
Trained Lake Hosts staff boat ramps to:
- Educate visiting boaters about aquatic invasive species (plants and animals)
- Conduct a brief boater survey
- Teach boaters the “Clean, Drain & Dry” method for preventing the spread of aquatic invasive species
- Conduct courtesy boat and trailer inspections to remove all hitchhiking aquatic invasive species and native species, too
- Remind boaters to always open/remove drain plugs before trailering from the ramp and to leave all drain plugs open/out while transporting
- Send suspicious species fragments to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services for identification
Since 2002, hundreds of paid and volunteer Lake Hosts have conducted more than 851,102 courtesy boat inspections and have made more than 1,550 ‘saves’ of aquatic invasive plant or animal specimens that were about to enter or had just left a waterbody.
Lake Host Program for ramps not open to the general public:
Community groups, marinas, and owners of ramps not open to the public are invited to participate in NH LAKES Lake Host Program on a non payroll-grant award basis. NH LAKES can hire individuals to work as NH LAKES Lake Hosts at these ramps not open to the general public, provided that the local group provides funding to cover salaries and associated taxes, statutory benefits including insurances, and payroll fees.
Lake Host Program for ramps open to the general public:
The Lake Host Payroll Grant Program is open to groups (lake, pond, river and watershed associations, municipalities, and other community groups) that pledge to staff boat ramps open to the general public. NH LAKES provides (‘sets aside’) grant funding to cover the salaries and benefits of individuals hired as NH LAKES employees to work as Lake Hosts at local ramps open to the public. Participating groups are required to match their payroll award by a minimum of 100% by providing volunteer labor and/or by contributing funding to extend Lake Host employee coverage at their ramp. Funding for the payroll grant award programs comes from the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services’ Exotic Species Prevention Grant Program which is funded by a portion of the revenue generated by in-state boat registration fees. Funding for the payroll grant program also comes from foundations and local sources.
2017 Lake Host™ Payroll Grant Program
We are pleased to offer the Lake HostTM Program, one of the nation’s premier aquatic invasive species education and prevention programs, for its 16th year! We invite groups that have participated during previous years and new groups to apply for a payroll grant award to implement the program at boat ramps open to the public on lakes, ponds, and rivers throughout New Hampshire.
PAYROLL GRANT APPLICATION DEADLINE:
- Postmark Date: Monday, March 20, 2017
Mail to: NH LAKES, 14 Horseshoe Pond Lane, Concord, NH 03301
- Email Submission Date: Monday, March 20, 2017, 8:00 a.m.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
GRANT PROGRAM TIMELINE
- By 5:00 p.m., Friday, May 5, 2017 (pending Governor & Executive Council approval): Notification of award to applying groups via email.
- 2017 Payroll Grant Award Criteria, Application Process & Terms of Participation
- 2017 Lake Host Point Person and Manager Position Description
- 2017 Lake Host Inspector Position Description
- 2017 Lake Host Training Dates and Requirements
- 2017 Lake Host Sweatshirt Order Form
- 2017 Lake Host Inspector Manual
- 2017 Lake Host Point Person & Manager Manual
- NH Fish & Game Open Water Fishing Tournament Schedule
- On Water Events & Tournaments Permitted by NH Department of Safety
- New ‘Clean & Drain’ Law Statute (NH RSA 487:16c-e)
- Answers to Common New ‘Clean & Drain’ Law Questions for Lake Host Groups
IMPORTANT FORMS FOR ALL LAKE HOST INSPECTORS
- 2017 Lake Host Boater Survey Sheet (PDF)
- 2017 Lake Host Boater Survey Sheet (MS Word)
- 2017 Lake Host Ramp Daily Summary Sheet (PDF)
- 2017 Lake Host Ramp Daily Summary Sheet (MS Word)
- For Excel version of the Boater Survey/Daily Summary Sheets contact email@example.com
- 2017 Lake Host “PULL THE PLUG” AIS Prevention Brochure – NEW!
- 2017 Lake Host AIS Identification
IMPORTANT FORMS FOR LAKE HOST VOLUNTEERS
- 2017 Lake Host Volunteer Information Form (PDF)
- 2017 Lake Host Volunteer Information For (MS Word)
- 2017 Lake Host Volunteer Match Sheet (PDF)
- 2017 Lake Host Volunteer Match Sheet (MS Word)
- For Excel version of the Volunteer Match Sheet, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT FORMS FOR LAKE HOST EMPLOYEES
- 2017 Lake Host Employee Information Form (PDF)
- 2017 Lake Host Employee Information Form (MS Word)
- 2017 Lake Host Employee W-4 Tax Withholding Form
- 2017 Lake Host Employee I 9 Employment Eligibility Form
- 2017 Lake Host Employee/Volunteer Younger than 18 Parental Permission Form
- 2017 Lake Host Employee Timesheet (PDF)
- 2017 Lake Host Employee Timesheet (MS Word)
- 2017 Lake Host Employee Timesheet (MS Excel)
TRAINING SESSIONS SIGN UP (click on the links below to sign up)
One Lake Host Point Person/Manager only (new & returning) in-person training will be held on:
Two Lake Host Point Person/Manager only (returning only) online webinar training will be held on:
- Monday, May 15, 7:00–8:00 pm, from your computer and telephone – to register, email email@example.com
- Monday, June 12, 7:00–8:00 pm, from your computer and telephone – to register, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Two Lake Host Inspector only trainings will be held on:
- SATURDAY, June 17, 9:00–11:30 am at Squam Lakes Association, 534 U.S. 3, Holderness, NH
- SATURDAY, June 24, 9:00–12:00noon, NH DES, 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH (This training includes species identification session and Lake Host/Boater interaction role play with boat and trailer.)
Four Lake Host Point Person/Manager/Inspector trainings will be held on:
- SATURDAY, May 20, 1:30 pm–4:30 pm, NH DES, 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH (This training includes species identification session and Lake Host/Boater interaction role play with boat and trailer.)
- Training Video – click on video link below.