The Lake Host™ Program is a courtesy boat inspection program administered by NH LAKES in cooperation with local participating groups to prevent the introduction and spread of aquatic invasive species, plants and animals, from waterbody to waterbody.
Infestations of invasive species such as variable milfoil and Asian Clams in our waterbodies are undesirable because: they make recreation in and on the water dangerous and unpleasant; they disrupt the ecological balance of waterbodies; they reduce shoreline property values; and they are difficult and expensive to control.
Trained Lake Hosts staff boat ramps to:
- Educate visiting boaters about aquatic invasive species (plants and animals)
- Conduct a brief boater survey
- Teach boaters the “Clean, Drain & Dry” method for preventing the spread of aquatic invasive species
- Conduct courtesy boat and trailer inspections to remove all hitchhiking aquatic invasive species
- Send suspicious species fragments to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services for identification
Since 2002, hundreds of paid and volunteer Lake Hosts have conducted more than 851,102 courtesy boat inspections and have made more than 1,550 ‘saves’ of aquatic invasive plant or animal specimens that were about to enter or had just left a waterbody.
Lake Host Program for ramps not open to the general public:
Community groups, marinas, and owners of ramps not open to the public are invited to participate in NH LAKES Lake Host Program on a non payroll-grant award basis. NH LAKES can hire individuals to work as NH LAKES Lake Hosts at these ramps not open to the general public, provided that the local group provides funding to cover salaries and associated taxes, statutory benefits including insurances, and payroll fees.
For more information: e-mail us or call us at (603) 226-0299.
Lake Host Program for ramps open to the general public:
The Lake Host Payroll Grant Program is open to groups (lake, pond, river and watershed associations, municipalities, and other community groups) that pledge to staff boat ramps open to the general public. NH LAKES provides (‘sets aside’) grant funding to cover the salaries and benefits of individuals hired as NH LAKES employees to work as Lake Hosts at local ramps open to the public. Participating groups are required to match their payroll award by a minimum of 100% by providing volunteer labor and/or by contributing funding to extend Lake Host employee coverage at their ramp. Funding for the payroll grant award programs comes from the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services’ Exotic Species Prevention Grant Program which is funded by a portion of the revenue generated by in-state boat registration fees. Funding for the payroll grant program also comes from foundations and local sources.
2017 Lake Host™ Payroll Grant Program
We are pleased to offer the Lake HostTM Program, one of the nation’s premier aquatic nuisance species education and prevention programs, for its 16th year! We invite groups that have participated during previous years and new groups to apply for a payroll grant award to implement the program at boat ramps open to the public on lakes, ponds, and rivers throughout New Hampshire.
PAYROLL GRANT APPLICATION DEADLINE:
- Postmark Date: Monday, March 20, 2017
Mail to: NH LAKES, 14 Horseshoe Pond Lane, Concord, NH 03301
- Email Submission Date: Monday, March 20, 2017, 8:00 a.m.
Email to: email@example.com.
GRANT PROGRAM TIMELINE
- By 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 28, 2017 (pending Governor & Executive Council approval): Notification of award to applying groups via email.
- 2017 Lake Host Payroll Grant Program Application – MS Word Document
- 2017 Lake Host Payroll Grant Program Application – PDF
- 2017 Payroll Grant Award Criteria, Application Process & Terms of Participation
- 2017 Lake Host Point Person and Manager Position Description
- 2017 Lake Host Inspector Position Description
- 2017 Lake Host Training Dates and Requirements
IMPORTANT FORMS FOR ALL LAKE HOSTS
- coming soon!
IMPORTANT FORMS FOR LAKE HOST VOLUNTEERS
- coming soon!
IMPORTANT FORMS FOR LAKE HOST EMPLOYEES
- coming soon!
TRAINING SESSIONS SIGN UP (click on the links below to sign up)
One Lake Host Point Person/Manager only (new & returning) in-person training will be held on:
Two Lake Host Point Person/Manager only (returning only) online webinar training will be held on:
- Monday, May 15, 7:00–8:00 pm, from your computer and telephone – to register, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, June 12, 7:00–8:00 pm, from your computer and telephone – to register, email email@example.com
One Lake Host Inspector only training will be held on:
Five Lake Host Point Person/Manager/Inspector trainings will be held on:
- SATURDAY, May 20, 1:30 pm–4:30 pm, NH DES, 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH (This training includes species identification session and Lake Host/Boater interaction role play with boat and trailer.)
- SATURDAY, June 24, 9:00–12:00noon, NH DES, 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH (This training includes species identification session and Lake Host/Boater interaction role play with boat and trailer.)
- Training Video – click on video link below.