Reverend Sidney Lovett Memorial Award for
Exemplary Lake Advocacy
NH LAKES created a special award in 2022 to honor the late Reverend Sidney Lovett (1928 – 2021), who served many as a pastor, politician, and environmentalist.
Sid served as the Chair of the NH LAKES Board of Directors in 1993 and 1994 and was recognized as an honorary board member after that. He served five terms in the New Hampshire House of Representatives. He sat on the Resources, Recreation, and Development Committee, advocating for New Hampshire’s lakes—including his beloved Squam Lake. Earlier in his career, he served on the inaugural board of the United States Institute of Peace.
In tribute to Sid’s enthusiasm for education, politics, and the environment, and his kindness and unparalleled ability to connect people, NH LAKES established the Reverend Sidney Lovett Memorial Award for Exemplary Lake Advocacy.
This award is given by NH LAKES every two years to recognize an individual who exhibits extraordinary and selfless service at the local, municipal, and/or state level, bringing people together to advocate for the restoration and protection of New Hampshire’s lakes through public policy.
Nominees for the Reverend Sidney Lovett Award for Exemplary Lake Advocacy should exemplify the values, commitment, and hard work that Sidney Lovett brought to the cause of Lake Advocacy in one or more of the following ways:
- Serving as a model of an exemplary advocate at the local, municipal, and/or state level, helping to bring stakeholders together to advance public policy to restore and preserve the health of New Hampshire’s lakes for all
- Serving in/interacting with the New Hampshire Legislature and helping to advance lake-friendly legislation
- Serving in/interacting with municipal government and helping to advance lake-friendly municipal ordinances, policies, and programs
- Demonstrating the ability to bring people together to advocate for public policy in support of the conservation and protection of New Hampshire’s lakes
- Manifesting vision and foresight in developing long-term public policy solutions to long-term problems related to New Hampshire’s lakes and ponds
Currently serving NH LAKES Board Members and Staff are not eligible to be nominated for the award.
Nominations for the 2024 Reverend Sidney Lovett Memorial Award for Exemplary Lake Advocacy will be accepted until December 11, 2023.
Reverend Sidney Lovett Memorial Award for Exemplary Lake Advocacy Award Recipients
2022 Representative Suzanne Smith (Hebron)